Frequently Asked Questions

A house is made of wood, sand and water within varying forms. As most homes are quickly sold and occupied just after being built, the home has not had time to settle and/or acclimatize to the seasons we live through here in Canada. The extreme variety of weather we experience does play a role in the settlement and shrinkage of your new home.

Did you know that approximately 30 litres of moisture is released on a daily basis? This is where homeowner maintenance plays a role in the preservation of your home.

Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQ’s) you may have about your home:

Concrete is composed of water and sand, over time the water will dry and release. This is common, and is expected. Shrinkage cracks, below 6mm in width are not warrantable. Only cracks exceeding 6mm will be repaired, up to one year.

Shrinkage and settlement of the house is normal, this may result in visible nail pops. Nail pops are not warrantable but will be repaired at one year (excluding painting).

The Ironstone Building Company installs sod in blocks of homes, so it may not be possible to install sod according to closing dates. The installation is done this way so that all blocks will be graded together, effectively draining water away from all the homes. Sod is laid seasonally between the months of May through October.

Seasonal items include driveways, exterior parging, exterior paint, sod and grading. Depending on the time of year your home is under construction and you take possession you may have outstanding seasonal items on your home. These items are documented at the time of your PDI and PDI Sign Off. The Ironstone Building Company completes all seasonal work as soon as possible but is subject to change due to weather, construction on neighbouring homes, and area of rotation. We thank you for your patience and understanding through this process.

For more information PDIs CLICK HERE

Certificate of Completion and Possession. You will be provided a copy of the CCP after the completion of your PDI by the Ironstone representative. This document states your home’s enrollment number with Tarion and the occupancy date, which is also the start date of your home’s statutory warranty.

If you have enrolled the home and require a copy of the CCP, you can reprint it through BuilderLink. If you are not currently registered with BuilderLink, we encourage you to register by clicking HERE .

You may also request a reprint of the CCP by contacting our Enrollment Team. There will be an administrative fee for a reprint of the CCP.

If you have any questions, please contact the Enrollment Team at 1-877-696-6497 ext. 3170 or by clicking HERE.

It is best practice to enroll with Tarion after your PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection).

Please visit WWW.TARION.COM and click on the “My Home” link in the top banner, then click “Register For My Home” and follow the prompts. Once registered, this will allow you to manage, organize and submit your requests and claims.

Once you have taken ownership of your new home, it is your responsibility to maintain the sod. Make sure you understand how to care for it. We have a sheet we hand out for this.

You will require “Your Tarion Enrollment #” and the “Vendor/Builder #”, both of these numbers are available on your PDI Form, which your PDI Representative will educate you on. Each warranty period always reverts to the date of possession.

NOTE: If for any reason you elect to sell your home during the warranty period, the coverage will transfer to the new owner. However, the start date will remain as the original possession date.

You submit your 30-Day form through your My Home profile through the Tarion website. For full details please look here: HTTPS://WWW.TARION.COM/HOMEOWNERS/YOUR-WARRANTY-COVERAGE/OUTLINE-YOUR-WARRANTY

There is no going rate, the Occupancy Fees are different for all units and depend on the purchase price. The occupancy fee is calculated on the purchase price less the deposit and interest that balance plus the common expense fee. The interest rate fluctuates. For more information on your Occupancy Fee, please contact your lawyer.

Registration on each development varies. Please note that subsequent to our submission, we do not know when the City of London will approve our registration which would allow us to proceed with unit closings, within 15 days of registration. If the registration is delayed by the city and or the Land Registry Office we will be required to resolve any items identified. Please note that we will advise you of when we obtain our Registration. You will also receive information from your lawyer.

We will forward you an email outlining how to set up your utilities once you have completed the Pre-Delivery Inspection appointment.   Please ensure that all utility accounts are in your name and active on the day of your Occupancy to avoid the possibility of disconnections. Providers that you will be required to contact include: Hydro, Gas, Water, Water Heater Rental, Phone, Internet, Cable. You will also have to connect with Canada Post to establish the location of your mailbox, and obtain the key to your mailbox. 

Recycling Bins are obtained through the City of London. For more information on that and finding out which Zone you fall under, please look here.

The difference between buying or selling a freehold property and condominium townhouse all has to do with ownership. With a freehold home, you are the owner of the home itself and the plot of land it sits on. A condo townhome differs in the sense that you only own the interior of a unit.

Interim occupancy is more in association with condo developments. Please read below for Tentative Occupancy information: